On this episode of the Hockey Think Tank podcast, we bring on Alyssa Gagliardi – Former Team USA national player, Cornell captain, NWHL/PWHPA pro hockey all-star, and now working with the Carolina Hurricanes to grow the sport in Raleigh.
This was an UNREAL conversation on player development…while we hardly spoke at all about hockey. Development is so much more than what happens on the ice and Gags gives us a great blueprint on what that should entail. We talk:
- Mental Skills
- Social Relationships
- Goal Setting
- Learning Skills
- SO MUCH MORE
First Principles of Player Development:
- Everyone’s path is different. There is no one-size fits all approach.
- Set goals and break down how you will achieve them.
- Invest in loss. Have the courage to grow and be challenged.
- Love the opportunity to compete.
- Develop resilience, confidence, and the ability to handle adversity well.
- Skill is a continual process, not something you one day acquire.
- The nature of the training and practice environment dictates the nature of adaptation.
- Embrace and learn from mistakes. Seek feedback. Reflect and self-correct.
- Be a team player. Be willing to be part of something bigger than yourself.
Alyssa currently coaches the U19 Carolina Junior Hurricanes Girls’ Team and is the Skill Development coach for the Junior Hurricanes Girls’ Program.
She is also the Carolina Hurricanes Girls’ and Women’s Youth and Amateur Hockey Coordinator and runs AG2 Hockey for Skill & Player Development.
Additionally, Gagliardi is a board member of the Professional Women’s Hockey Players’ Association (PWHPA).
Gagliardi began her coaching career after a decorated playing career that includes a National Championship at Shattuck St. Mary’s High School, 4x ECAC Champion at Cornell, Gold Medalist of the Four Nations Cup with Team USA, and an Isobel Cup Champion with the Boston Pride of the NWHL.
The Hockey Think Tank Podcast brings incredible stories, interviews, and great perspective from some of the top hockey minds in the game. Hosted by Topher Scott & Jeff LoVecchio, our podcast will educate and inspire all those that love the game. For all the players, coaches, and hockey parents out there…make this your go-to show on your way to the rink!