Bruce Cassidy was fired as coach of the Boston Bruins on Monday.
Cassidy was named Bruins coach on Feb. 7, 2017 after eight seasons with Providence of the American Hockey League, including five as head coach. The 57-year-old is 292-155-53 with nine ties in 509 games in eight NHL seasons with the Bruins and Washington Capitals.
Cassidy is the fifth coach to be fired since the regular season ended, following:
- Jeff Blashill by the Detroit Red Wings (April 30)
- Mike Yeo by the Philadelphia Flyers (May 3)
- Barry Trotz by the New York Islanders (May 9)
- Peter DeBoer by the Vegas Golden Knights (May 16).
- The Islanders hired Lane Lambert as coach May 16.
- The Winnipeg Jets announced May 2 they would have a coaching search and Dave Lowry, who replaced Paul Maurice as coach Dec. 17, could be interviewed for the job.
- The Chicago Blackhawks are conducting a search that includes Derek King, who replaced Jeremy Colliton as coach Nov. 6.
- Rick Bowness stepped down as coach of the Dallas Stars on May 20.