By NHLStats Resources
Road Wins Overall: Road teams are 34-23 overall this postseason, thanks to a win by the Panthers in Game 2 on Thursday. The 2023 Stanley Cup Playoffs already sits one road win shy of their entire total from 2022 (35-54 in 89 GP).
* The 2023 Stanley Cup Playoffs are the fifth in the NHL’s expansion era (since 1967-68) to feature the reigning Stanley Cup Finalists (postseasons in which both teams qualified) and the League’s No. 1 overall team from the current season all eliminated in the opening round. The previous occurrences were 2019 (WSH, VGK & TBL: No. 1 seed), 2012 (BOS & VAN, also No. 1 seed), 2006 (TBL, CGY & DET: No. 1 seed) and 1971 (BOS, also No. 1 seed & STL).
* Three of four series in the 2023 Second Round are first-time playoff matchups. That has happened only six times in the round of eight during the NHL’s modern era (since 1943-44); the most recent occurrence was in the 2003 Conference Semifinals (TBL vs. NJD, ANA vs. DAL & MIN vs. VAN).
* The 2023 First Round was the second opening round in NHL history to feature seven teams advance after overcoming a series deficit joining the 2010 Conference Quarterfinals (BOS, CHI, DET, MTL, PIT, SJS & VAN). Carolina was the only team in 2023 to advance without ever trailing in its series.
* The 2023 First Round was the 12th opening round in NHL history to feature multiple teams erase a multi-game series deficit to advance to the Second Round. Five of those occurrences have taken place in the past 20 years: 2019 (2), 2014 (3), 2013 (2), 2011 (2) and 2003 (3).
* The 2023 Stanley Cup Playoffs have featured multiple teams capture their first series victory in at least a decade; the Devils captured their first since the 2012 Conference Finals after the Maple Leafs did so for the first time since the 2004 Conference Quarterfinals. Only two other postseasons in NHL history have featured multiple teams accomplish the feat: 2019 (COL: first since 2008 & CAR: first since 2009), 2012 (PHX: first since 1987, STL: first since 2002 & LAK: first since 2001) and 2009 (CHI: first since 1996, BOS: first since 1999 & WSH: first since 1998).
Four Goal Outings: The 2023 Stanley Cup Playoffs marked the first postseason to feature multiple four-goal performances at any point since 1992. The only playoff years to feature three-plus four-goal outings are 1988 (3), 1983 (5) and 1919 (3).
* The 2023 Stanley Cup Playoffs is the 13th in NHL history to feature seven or more unique teams register a four-goal period after Edmonton’s four goals in the opening frame (also BOS, CAR, DAL, FLA, NYI & SEA). Only seven other postseasons in the past 35 years have seen as many: 2018 (9), 2010 (7), 1993 (8), 1992 (7), 1991 (8), 1990 (8) and 1988 (9).
* Eight of the 12 series so far in the 2022-23 postseason have been tied 1-1. Among the first two rounds of every playoff year in every postseason, the only years with more such series even after two games is 1991 (11), 2010 (10) and 2020 (10).